Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adventure installment numero Deux!

I am so glad I had this adventure idea!  This has been so much fun!  I've gotten to explore so many new places and try new things; it's been a blast!  And the best adventures are yet to come!


Adventure #6:  Minestrone--Adventures in Cooking

This day was just crummy.  We set out to find a geocache which wasn't there (we're pretty sure someone stole it.), we had gotten hardly any sleep the night before, and were just plain grumpy and exhausted.  So, luckily, I had planned a new meal for our menu this night because it's the only adventure we were able to manage.  But oh boy, it turned out delicious!  This minestrone soup is perfect for Tommy to eat, since the vegetable pieces are just right for his eating skill level, and it turned out well!





Adventure #7:  Tomato Pesto--More Adventures in Cooking  

Yes, another food adventure!  Oooh, this one was SOO good!  I tried making a pesto for the first time.  I'm not particularly fond of your run of the mill green pesto stuff, but this tomato pesto was incredibly good.  Basically it's just tomato paste mixed with herbs, spices, and you're also supposed to have toasted pine nuts in there but we skipped those since pine nuts are SO expensive and I have no idea where to find them at ShopRite.  Then just eat it with spaghetti noodles!  Oh, man, we just about died and went to heaven.



Adventure #8:  Woodcock Trail--A Hiking Adventure

Living in New Jersey has given us a huge appreciation for our mountains and hikes back home.  It's very flat out here, and so hikes are more like walks, really.  The terrain and vegetation are so different that, while it has been fun to explore around here, it seems so alien and makes me miss my mountains.  At least until I hiked along the Woodcock trail, which is part of a Cape May wildlife refuge.  It made me feel so much like I had finally come home, just the way the trees were and the trail wound through them, and there were lots of ponds around.  The best part, though, was the wildlife!  I saw two fox kits in the wild for the first time!  Their den was dug in the middle of the trail I was following, so after I took a couple of pics I figured that was a good enough sign to head back and start exploring a different side trail.  I also saw some fresh deer tracks, but no deer sightings.  The trail goes all the way to Delaware Bay, and I got to see some boats.  I really loved this hike!  (Ok, nature walk.)


Happy hikers!

Loved this trail!

Can you spot the foxes?


Adventure #9:  Songbird Trail--A Geocaching Adventure

Tommy and I explored the Woodcock trail while Skye was at work, but our adventure today we waited until the evening to do so Skye was able to come with us.  Just north of the Woodcock trail, as part of the same nature preserve, is another trail called the Songbird trail.  This trail, as it turns out, has a geocache along it for us to find!  This cache was very cleverly hidden, really well-camouflaged.  We looked in the wrong area for a few minutes (in tree cover, GPS units are not super accurate.) but finally Skye found it!  We returned home triumphant.

Can you spot the cache?

Tommy just wanted to look at the trees--he was fascinated by them!

Love this boy!




Adventure #10:  Montego Bay--A Swimming Adventure

Our branch planned a branch activity tonight at Montego Bay, an indoor water park in North Wildwood.  We had a wonderful time with all the other branch members, and enjoyed visiting a new place.  Tommy has been swimming before, but this time he really seemed to enjoy it, despite the water being too cold.  At least there was a hot tub, which seemed to be about the temperature of his baths so we sat in there with him for a while.  There was pizza, friends, a pool...it was a perfect little adventure for us!

Handsome boys!  Aren't Tommy's trunks so cute?

1 comment:

  1. I agree about missing the Utah mountains. We hike in the mountains here a lot, but they are just different. I think Tommy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete