Here are the first 5 adventures I went on! So far this has been really cool!
Adventure #1: A "Wild" Ride -- Adventures in Biking
For our first adventure we packed up our bikes (an adventure in itself!) and headed one town north of Cape May to bike along the Wildwood boardwalk. We have visited the boardwalk before, but had never biked along it and hadn't seen the ENTIRE thing. We started at the Wildwood Crest bike path which runs right into the boardwalk, and rode 'til the very end! It was not crowded, since the tourist season hasn't started yet, but there were lots of shop owners getting things set up for summer! By the time we got back to the car Tommy was fast asleep in his trailer. What a cute little guy! We love adventuring with him!
 |
| We rode all the way to the end! |
 |
| Tommy passed out |
Adventure #2: Bugs! -- A Geocaching Adventure
Our second adventure was finding a new geocache. Now I guess I'll have to explain what geocaching is because a lot of our adventures will be finding them. "Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played
throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic
idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share
your experiences online." There, I stole that from the Cape May County Department of Tourism's website. Ha! Look at me citing my sources! I'm such a good academic. *eye roll* Ok, so this geocache was along a bike trail that I plan on exploring more later. It was hidden in a cleverly camouflaged log, which had been hollowed out and the top made into a hinged lid. The only problem was that as I lifted up the lid, the first thing I saw was a whole slew of creepy crawly bugs scuttling around being icky and gross. Bleagh! I had to be like Indiana Jones and reach my hand in there anyway to grab the cache, because Skyelr was holding Tommy. Yeech! I am so brave! Anyway, it all turned out ok. We searched for another cache after that but weren't able to find it, but we did find a beautiful "park" (basically just a pier) on a pretty lake-ish thing. Salt marsh? I dunno. So that was a fun adventure!
 |
| Found it! |
 |
| He was hitting my head. |
 |
| Happy guys! |
Adventure #3: El Lame-o -- Adventures in Hiking
The day of the third adventure Skye had duty so Tommy and I went out on this one ourselves. We decided to explore an area near Cape May Zoo that we had briefly visited before while geocaching, but warranted further exploration. With my trusty companion slung on my back (Hooray Ergo carrier!) I ventured into the unknown. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a pretty lame nature walk. It's hard to feel nature-y when a hundred feet away is a parking lot and in the other direction a busy road. Plus spring hasn't quite sprung there yet; it was brown and dreary. But I found a small trail off the beaten path that I was curious about exploring, but it just ended up in a golf course. Oh well, not every adventure can be super duper awesome!
 |
| This was the cool little side trail. It looks neat, huh? |
Adventure #4: The 5-star -- A Geocaching Adventure
We had hoped to try out an event cache for this adventure, but we mistook the time so we missed it. Instead we decided to cheer ourselves up with a challenging find instead. Caches have a difficulty rating system of stars: one star for the easiest you can find, five stars for the hardest to find. We did our first 5 star cache. Why was it so hard? Because there were 4 stages to it, meaning we had to find 4 caches, each with coordinates to the next, and only the 3rd cache had the coordinates to the final cache hide where we can sign the log. And on top of that, each of the caches was only a bit bigger than a pencil eraser. This was such a fun adventure! One of our favorite caches we've found so far. It was super challenging, and that made it all the better.
 |
| First stage! |
 |
| This was the second cache. |
 |
| Skyelr and the third cache. |
 |
| Us and the final cache! Tommy once again fell asleep. |
Adventure #5: Tomato Chicken -- An Adventure in Cooking
Today we didn't have the inclination to go on an outdoor adventure, so we tried a cooking adventure instead. I made a tomato chicken recipe that I found in my baby-led weaning cookbook. One of my favorite cookbooks, by the way. It has so many simple, nutritious recipes that I love to feed my boys. Skye really liked it, as did Tommy. It was a nice, easy one-pan meal.
 |
| Served it with rice and veggies! |
|
|
|
I had a blast with these first 5 adventures! (except for El Lame-o, but oh well.) Can't wait for the next 20!
I love this adventure thing you are doing. Tommy is so cute in his many acrobatic, contorted napping positions. Happy birthday soon!
ReplyDelete